For this blog, you’ll want to grab a seat.
While much of our focus here at RPI Designs is about extra horsepower, your Corvette’s exterior appearance and other do-it-yourself projects, one thing you shouldn’t overlook is the place you spend nearly 100% of your time in your Corvette: the seat.
Driver comfort usually isn’t the first thing Vette fanatics consider when thinking about upgrades and modifications. But it should be.
According to a widespread study, about 5% of drivers in the United States have fallen asleep at the wheel in the past 30 days. About 75,000 crashes per year are caused by drowsy driving – yet having the “right” seat for your car can help prevent accidents. A new car seat can help combat driver fatigue and increase alertness.
Plus, ditching your old Corvette seat for a new one is a great way to instantly enhance your vehicle’s interior cockpit area!
Advantages of Aftermarket Seats
Bucket seats help provide extra support during hairpin turns, tight corners and high speeds – in other words, they’re great for racing conditions.
A Corvette seat modification can upgrade your Corvette’s:
- Interior style. From flashy modern designs to classic retro seats, you have plenty of options to choose from.
- Weight reduction. Depending on the type of Corvette seat, you can reduce your car’s weight in an area that not many people think about! This could help give you an advantage at the track!
- Superior comfort. If you’re taking your Corvette on an extended trip, fatigue can be an issue, as we’ve already mentioned. But an ergonomic seat modification keeps you fresh behind the wheel. Speaking of that…
- Enhanced safety. A more alert driver is a better driver, and a Corvette seat upgrade is the perfect way to keep you attentive and ready for anything that comes your way!
There are many benefits with a Corvette seat upgrade. If you’ve been thinking about giving your Corvette some new seats, we’ve put together a general installation outline below.
How to Replace Your Corvette’s Seats
Ready to get started? First, let’s review the “time & tools” involved with a Corvette seat replacement project.
Installation time: about 3-4 hours, with your buddy’s help.
Tools: standard socket wrench, Philips and flat head screwdrivers, Allen key wrench, aftermarket seats and rails.
- Safely jack up your car.
- Remove base frames from box.
- Attach rails to bottom of new seats.
- Secure rails with screwdriver and hex key / Allen wrench.
- Remove old seats. Each seat is typically secured with four bolts. Please note, seats may have seatbelt detect wire attached. Carefully remove plug before taking seat out of your Corvette.
- OPTIONAL: While your old seats are out – and before you install the new seats – give your floor a thorough vacuuming. Think about it: this is maybe the only time your Corvette will ever receive a detail like this! All those old French fries, loose change, dust & debris – go ahead and clean all of it. This step is optional, but highly recommended!
- Line up the old seat and new seat. Make sure to rest the seats on a soft, supportive surface (cloth, cardboard, etc.) before doing any more work.
- Now, it’s time to transfer the old seatbelt components to your new seat. (You’ve already lined up the old and new seats, so this part of the process is easier than you think!)
- Transfer mechanical seat belt fasteners, electrical connections (if any) and any other accessories from your old Corvette seat to your new seat. After you’re done with the entire seat installation process, check all the connections to ensure everything’s working as it should and there are no loose parts.
- Before you transfer the new seats into your Corvette, be aware of the new seat’s base; the metal ends can damage your paint. If you’d like, you can always tape some foam or bubble wrap on any metal ends to prevent scratches and scuffs.
- Position the new seats in place.
- Secure new seats in place with bolts (again, usually 4 bolts hold each seat in place).
- Exercise caution to not cross-thread the seat bolts.
- Hand-tighten each bolt, ensure the seats are properly in place, then secure with a socket.
- Safely lower car from jack.
- Before driving, make sure that seat is secure and all seat belt components are properly installed.
- Take your Corvette for a test drive.
- Enjoy your new seats!
Once your new Corvette seats are installed, give yourself a pat on the back – you’ve just finished one of the most important interior upgrades. From better contours and comfort to reduced driving fatigue, you’ve also made your Corvette a more stylish – and certainly safer – car to drive!
RPI Designs boasts a premium selection of Corvette seat accessories, from our C5 Corvette Seat Bottom to Billet Aluminum Seat Adjusters. We also sell a great selection of seat belt accessories, stylish add-ons and many other seat-related components. Browse our entire assortment of C5, C6 and C7 Corvette parts – and if you can’t find what you’re looking for, our Corvette parts experts are here to help!
For any questions about your next Corvette modification (seats or anything else), give us a call at 888.257.8515. Thanks for reading the RPI Designs blog, and check back for more helpful installation tips, product reviews, breaking news and more!